Friday, February 08, 2008

Sharon on a Pioneer Trek? Get Serious!!!

Well tonight I was going to post a photo Richard took of me in my pioneer costume that Kami made for me. The costume is awesome--the photo of me not so hot!!! I promised Kami when I get dressed up for the kickoff fireside on Sunday night I would have Richie take another photo. This time I will turn my best side to the camera, try to hold in my stomach and maybe I won't hate the next photo quite so badly. Maybe I will put some makeup on and do my hair--now there's an idea!!



Yes it is true. Nobody told me until after I had agreed to be Stake YW President that this year is the year of the dreaded "TREK!" We march about 21 miles in 3 days pulling a handcart full of supplies up and down hills near Ellensburg. When I heard the up and down hills part I offered to cook for everyone! If that isn't bad enough we can't take deordorant or makeup or any of the comforts of home. Yea right! I'm glad Richard is coming along in his truck. I can hide a lot of makeup and toiletries in that truck! Along with an air mattress!



If that isn't bad enough the next month is girls camp and we all know how Sharon loves to camp. Actually it won't be so bad. Half the time I will be at High Adventure which is the fun adventure the 6 year girls get to go on. This year it will be at a stake member's home on Lake Ponderilles in Sand Point, Idaho. We will be doing lots of fun thing including hiking, visiting a goat farm where we will milk goats and make cheese. That night we bring the cheese home and make lasagna.



Who knows--maybe I will run in to Mark Fuhriman while I am there.I know he lives there because that is what they say when they introduce him on Court TV. When I see him I am going to ask him if OJ Simpson really killed Nicole. I think I know what answer he would give me.



I have to say on a more serious note how sad I was to hear about President Hinckley's passing. I have lived long enough to see David O McKay, Joseph Fielding Smith, Harold B Lee, Spencer W. Kimball, Ezra Taft Benson, Howard W. Hunter and now President Hinckley pass. Without doubt I think the church has mourned President Hinckley's death more than any prophet I have seen. There was just something about him that made everybody love him. He took the church leaps and bounds forward into the 21st century and made it a worldwide church. Whenever I get down and feel like I am not satisfied with my efforts I will think of him saying, "Just do your best!" And that is just what I intend to do.



I also have to say how grateful I am that Heavenly Father took him quickly when it was his time to go. When I first heard it I couldn't help but say, "Thank you Father for not making him suffer like my Dad and Mom did." I would not wish that on anybody. I just hope when it is my time to go there will be many people who can say they loved me as much as people loved him. How awesome would that be.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh sure...you wouldn't think of ever milking another cow but you'll milk goats!!
Yes, I have to say that your Pioneer dress is quite fetching...thanks for modeling it at your house for us. Can't say I've seen anything like it at Macys lately. I would recommend leaving all the expensive Prada shoes at home and taking some good ole hikin shoes of some sort with good support.
I agree with what you had to say re: Pres Hinckley. He did "raise the bar" for all of us and was much loved.
Phil

Carl and Pat said...

I have a couple of pioneer lady photos that are great--I'll have to post those too! I hope someone takes lots of photos on Trek--this I have to see!! Great blog, Sharon. Looking forward to seeing you.(Pat)

Sarah said...

Hey Sharon..I am so excited that you are doing a Pioneer trek! Caleb and I were a "Ma and Pa' two years ago and it was one of the best experiences of my life. I would do it agian in a heartbeat.
(I am surprised you are doing girls camp too..we 'counted' the trek that year.) You are wonder woman!

Unknown said...

What am I the worst person ever??? I totally didn't see that you asked me about Jet Blue. SORRY! Ok so yes the job is wonderful and I am loving it ANNNNNNND I can help you apply and get a job if you come live in Utah. Or I guess you could work at the Seattle Airport. Ok seriously though you guys are a wonderful family and I love how much fun you all have. Let me know what other questions you have!