Friday, May 30, 2008

Life Changes






If there is one thing I have learned in my 39+ years it is that life is full of changes and adjustments. Some of them are good and some are very difficult. It seems our lives these past couple of weeks have had some very difficult changes.


Parents always worry about their children and pray for the very best for them. Somehow it seems parents are not the only ones who go through tough times, children do also which means parents worries just multiply the older your children get and the more grandchildren that come on the scene. Right now we pray hard for our oldest son and that things will work out for the good and that the changes he is experiencing will make him a stronger person. We are grateful for Erika and our three acquired grandchildren in that family.


It seems when changes and challenges come they also come in bunches. Last Thursday after 10 years at Grange Insurance and many excellent reviews, Richard's boss walked in and simply said things weren't working out and he was letting him go. There was no explanation and we probably never will really know why except it is pretty safe to say politics are alive and well.


So what do you do when you are 61, just a few years away from retirement, making a great income, and good benefits that take care of a wife who seems to run up medical bills as fast as health insurance and flex plan can pay them off. We have had to say to ourselves that somehow this has to be part of a bigger plan and we have to have faith we will find that plan.





We feel if we have to make a major change right now that we may as well make it in the direction of our children and grandchildren as well as a sister and brotherr-in-law that we have always loved and had fun with. Yes folks--after years of saying I would never move back to Utah I think we may be headed in that direction. Let's hope there is a ward somewhere that can handle and accept Sharon. I am just praying for a home with a view as nice as Nalani's and a much smaller mortgage than we have here.





If you know Richard you will not be surprised to know he already has our master closet torn apart in preparation for a major bathroom remodel. When we moved in 5 1/2 years ago we had not been in the house 24 hours before Richard had the master closet torn apart. Somehow I feel like I am having a dejavu moment.

Of course in preparation for selling the house we have to plant new trees to replace the ones we just paid somebody to take down!




What I will miss about Redmond.



The infamous master closet that now looks just like it did 5 years ago while we were trying to move in.



We even tore the office apart and decided it really was time to sort out our college books and give them away! (Just kidding but we have some pretty old books we need to get rid of!)

If I get discouraged when we move in to another house because it needs TLC I will just remember the "While You Were Out" project Richard did for me when I was away taking care of Quinn and Maile. I have to say I do have one talented husband and he has made every house we have lived in a beautiful home. He will again I am sure.


5 comments:

Carrie said...

We love you guys! You will be welcomed here with OPEN ARMS!!!!!

Unknown said...

OK...well it sucks that you are leaving us here in the NW but I understand the draw to Utah. Rich will find something good...he deserves it! So Rich, if you get bored I've got a couple of remodeling projects you could do in Washougal...

PHil

Carl and Pat said...

Oh goody...just in time to help Carl, Curtis, and Sam rebuild our deck!! Seriously, this is a tough one, but hopfully something that will be looked upon in the future as a good thing. We're certainly looking hard for jobs for you here in Utah, and our basement is available again. We've lived with each other how many time now?!!

Mrs. B said...

I'm glad you are moving down, maybe I can get that hot fudge hook up I've heard so much about. Really, it will be fun to have you closer.

Love ya--Kathy

Sam said...

Carl and I now have matching DeWalt cordless drills that are always hungry for projects, so....